I am thrilled to bits to share with y’all that I am the recipient of another Liebster Award! I am ever so grateful to Liz over at Now Voyaging – she’s not only a great writer, but she’s a super nice person, to boot – and if you haven’t checked out her blog, what are you waiting for?
Liebster, by the way, is a word with German origins that actually has several definitions, including dearest, nicest, and valued. (Just thought you’d like to know!) These are the rules associated with receiving a Liebster Award:
- Nominate up to 11 other bloggers to receive the coveted award.
- Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
- Tell your readers 11 random facts about yourself.
- Give the nominees 11 questions to answer on their blog when they post their nomination.
So here goes – first, the questions posed by Liz:
Ruby Gentry: So bad, it’s good. Kind of.
1. What is your favorite “bad” movie?
This was a tough one. A Summer Place, Duel in the Sun, Written on the Wind, and Beyond the Forest were strong contenders, but I ultimately had to go with Ruby Gentry. Boy, is it a hoot! Jennifer Jones and Charlton Heston are bad movie ROYALTY. If you’ve never seen this movie, you are truly in for a treat.
2. What inspired you to start blogging?
I was inspired and encouraged by my pal and Dark Pages Senior Writer, Kristina over at Speakeasy. I don’t remember now what she said, but I sure am glad she said it.
I’d like to kiss ya, but I’m on my way to lunch with Karen.
3. What person alive or dead would you choose to go to lunch with?
I would love to go to lunch with Bette Davis. I would just want to sit there and listen to her talk.
4. Who is your favorite classic film star?
Er, that would be Bette Davis. Joan Crawford and Barbara Stanwyck are a close second and third favorite, but Bette just has my heart.
5. What is the funniest joke you know?
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One cannibal said to the other, “Does this taste funny to you?”
Joanie and napping and croquettes, oh my!
6. Describe your perfect day.
No alarm clock. Sleep until I wake up. Have something yummy to eat like cinnamon toast and salmon croquettes, and then climb back into bed to watch a good old movie that I haven’t seen in a long time, like Letty Lynton. Take a nap after the movie, and get up to have a tasty lunch. Lather, rinse, repeat, if you get my drift.
7. What is your favorite book of all time?
Gone With the Wind. No question.
8. Where is the best place you have ever visited?
This is a tough one, too. I fell in love with Savannah, I adored Aruba, and I’m wild about my old Kentucky home in Winchester, KY – but I’m going to have to say Los Angeles. I can’t get enough of it.
9. What advice would you give to fellow bloggers?
Take some time to write down ideas for future posts, so you’ll have a variety of topics to choose from whenever you’re ready to write something.
10. Why do you love classic films?
Because they’re AWESOME, that’s why!
The plots. The performances. The dialogue. The cinematography. The stars. The way they look, sound, and make me feel. Basically, because they are the shiz-nit. If you know what I mean.
11. What is your favorite color?
All my life, my favorite color was purple, but now that I’m older, it’s mauve. (Do you think that means something?)
And here are eleven random facts about ME!!
1. Except for four years in the mid-1990s when I had my own editing business, I have had the same job since 1988.
2. I LOVE my job.
3. I finally bit the bullet this year and got an iPhone – but only because I dropped the flip phone that I’d had for 10 years and it broke into pieces. I like (okay, LOVE) being able to listen to podcasts while I’m driving, but that’s about it. I still miss my flip phone, though. It was very effective for hanging up on mouthy teenage daughters. (Kidding!!) (Sort of.)
4. I haven’t taken my Christmas tree down in three years. I may never take it down again.
5. I recently celebrated my three-year anniversary of quitting cigarettes, after smoking for 33 years. (Lots of threes around here – what’s THAT about?) If you’re a smoker and you’re ready to stop, just read The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allan Carr. It was a snap.
6. I completed the Insanity workout a couple of years ago – got a t-shirt and everything! I will NEVER do that again.
I cannot get enough of this show. (Don’t tell anybody.)
7. My favorite guilty pleasure TV show is Big Brother. I’ve watched it every year since the first season, and cannot WAIT for it to start every June.
8. I am rapidly approaching an empty nest. My younger daughter is a rising senior and will be going off to college next year. I’m not okay.
9. My 35-year high school reunion is this summer. (Good Lord.)
I can’t get enough of this one, either. (But I don’t care who knows it!)
10. After a few days of mourning the end of Mad Men, I am now watching the entire series again from the beginning. I am once again obsessed. And loving it.
11. I’m in my eighth day of a 10-day green smoothie cleanse. I never knew how delicious unsweetened peanut butter and celery could be. OMG. (Also, this cleanse has been a MIRACLE in my life. It. Is. AWESOME.)
I am nominating the following blogs to be the recipients of a Liebster – I hope you’ll check out each and every one!!
CineMaven’s: ESSAYS from the Couch
Vienna’s Classic Hollywood
Movie Movie Blog Blog
The Vintage Cameo
Old Hollywood Films
The Blonde at the Film
Grand Old Movies
And now, here are the 11 questions I’m asking these bloggers!
1. On your perfect viewing day, what five films would air back-to-back on TCM?
2. What’s your favorite movie-related book?
3. Name an underrated film that you’d recommend.
Reach for it and tell me the name of your favorite western!
4. What movie do you watch every time it comes on TV?
5. What’s your favorite western?
6. If you had Aladdin’s lamp, what three wishes would you make?
7. What movie have you seen more often than any other?
8. Name one thing you believed as a child that turned out not to be true.
9. What is your favorite guilty pleasure movie?
10. Name a movie that it seems everyone has seen except you.
11. Humphrey Bogart or Robert Mitchum?
And that’s it!
Thanks for reading, thanks again to Liz of Now Voyaging, and congratulations to my nominees – you’re the berries!